Tuesday, December 11, 2012

We Caved In

There has been a trend that we refused to give into over the past few years...The Elf on the Shelf.  I've seen those pictures on Facebook and Pinterest, read the blogs about the crazies, and just really didn't feel like doing one more "thing" at Christmas.  Plus, I have a hard time with all the lying towards my kids about Santa and felt as though the Elf was just adding to the lies.

And, we got away with not doing The Elf on the Shelf for several calm years!  Whew!

Enter 1st grade and Jack's 1st year teacher.  Jinx the Elf is staying in Jack's classroom until winter break.  She sent home a note introducing Jinx and his role in their classroom.  Jack was excited and told us all about Jinx moving around the classroom all day, can you believe it, he only moved when they were away!  I started getting a knot in my stomach knowing what Jack was going to ask.  And he did.

"Mom, why hasn't an Elf ever visited us?"
"Um, I think you need to write a letter to Santa asking for one."  Here I am, lying to my child.
"Oh, lets write one right now!"  Gets out paper, pen, and starts writing his little heart out.  He even mailed it.

So, I go buy an Elf, not THE PREMIER ELF, but a cute one, a cousin of Jinx, since they don't look exactly alike.  The first day our Elf appeared, he brought with him Christmas plates and bowls, along with a note from Santa.    The note is one I found on Pinterest duh and tells more about why we have Christmas, Jesus' birthday, and being like Jesus through the holidays and all year!  Ding, ding, ding, ding!  Exactly!  We named our Elf Elliot the Elf and I hear the E.T. voice every time we say Elliot and the kids are liking this new adventure.  Not sure if it's really working in behavior areas, but Elliot is not a miracle worker!



The kids thought he was the coolest ever being up there!  Dinner was interesting because they kept wondering if he would jump down!
Hanging out by our sink today and doing some stretches!  Oh Elliot!
Eric promised to help me and has done a great job moving Elliot nightly!  We are not going to have a naughty Elf, that's just too much!  Now, who has any ideas about where to move him next?

1 comment:

  1. I seriously think we are the only family that doesn't do Elf on the Shelf. Your Elliot the Elf is very cute :)

    Hope everyone is well. Miss you guys :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting our blog! We love your comments!