I was all set to do a series of My Favorite Things, but sick kids, in-laws visiting, Christmas, and some more sick kids has prevented me from doing a whole series, leaving us to just a top twelve list of My Favorite Things throughout life, the year, etc. Would love to hear some of your favorite things! And here is last years list!
1. My Household Binder: I started creating mine over the summer when paperwork from Jack and Molly's schools were scattered all over the house! And then, my cell phone stopped working and I had to get a new one, but my calendar didn't transfer over and I lost my entire schedule! You know, doctor and dentist appointments, birthdays, important dates, etc. I started searching the Internet, found a few AMAZING websites: http://iheartorganizing.blogspot.com/ and http://abowlfulloflemons.blogspot.com/ were both very inspiring, had some free printable resources (I mostly created my own), and set a great foundation to start my own! Seriously might do a later post on mine, it is a lifesaver!
2. Pinterest! LOVE IT! I came across Pinterest when creating the above and it was love at first sight! I can honestly say it is a time sucker, but I have made wonderful meals, snacks, lunches, crafts, holiday decorations from that amazing site!
3. Baby oil and powder: I have used baby oil since college when my room mate introduced to me why she used it. You know after you shave your legs and instantly your legs feel like they are on fire? Well, baby oil takes away the burn instantly! LOVE IT! I keep a bottle in our shower and use it all over in place of lotion, I even used it while pregnant to prevent stretch marks and can honestly say I have not a one stretch mark from any pregnancy!
Baby powder's magic was discovered over the summer when we went to a park with friends and when we were all getting ready to leave, our kids were covered head to toe in sand. Side note: I HATE sand! It's right up there with play-doo, Celine Dion, and loose teeth. I usually avoid sand at all costs but it's not always possible! So, I'm trying to wipe down my crew with baby wipes (on the list from last year) and ended up just spreading sand in more places then one can imagine. My friend pulls out baby powder, pours it in her hands and just brushes the sand off of her kids! Like magic, the sand comes off! We took baby powder to the beach with us and once again worked it's magic! Now, I have a bottle (container?) of baby powder in our beach bag!
4. Wii! We became the proud owners of a Wii over the summer and we have been having so much fun ever since. Now, I grew up without a Nintendo, Eric gave me a Sega Genesis when I was a freshman in college (to unwind during study breaks), and truly embarrass myself every time I play any sort of video game. Not anymore because Wii games are normal and real! I rock at bowling and I can so drive a car....so what if the settings are on the easiest ever setting! Jack is such a trash talker, he kicks it in golf and tennis, and I love to watch him bounce up and down while he plays Mario Cart! I so want the dance one, not sure of the name, but it looks awesome! I can so rock at dancing! Welcome to the 21st century Brew Crew! (And yes, I just had to google what century we are in)
5. Mom to Mom Ministries: I am a member of two mom's groups (a long story and yes I'm crazy) and both do the Mom to Mom ministry by Linda Anderson. I LOVE these groups for several reasons: I can seek guidance, advice, and support from our mentor mom's, understanding, loving friendship in mom's like myself, 2 hours of fun for my children to play, learn about Jesus, while I pray, learn about Jesus on how to be the best Me, wife, and mother! If you need a mom's group, I would love to talk to you more!
6. The Schools My Children Attend: We are very fortunate to live in a community with wonderful schools! Jack, as you know, began Kindergarten and has learned to read, number families, nouns and verbs, sight words, writing and journaling, and so much more that I can't begin to express my shock, amazement, and gratitude towards his teacher and school! Amazing!
Molly, as you know, began preschool and we all ready knew it was a fabulous school because that is where Jack attended last year and our home church! She also comes home after a wonderful day of school and is so knowledgeable in her numbers and letters, starting to write her name, and making her own friends!
7. The Teachers! Can't have fantastic schools without their fantastic teachers! Jack has an amazing teacher and Molly has two excellent teachers! They make me want to go back to teaching (well, most days, until I hear a story the kids tell about a student in their class...or the time I saw Jack's teacher leave the school at 5:40 p.m....or when I hear crazy parent stories)!
8. Y.M.C.A. Early in the summer I took the plunge and joined the Y. Eric was SICK of hearing me complain about losing weight, being fat, and hating my legs and told me to join...so, I did and haven't regretted it one bit! I hate paying so much (but it is pretty reasonable considering the great classes and childcare) but I have seen results, have fun, love to go, and the kids enjoy it too! My favorite class is Body Attack, followed by Pilate's (can't take it now because of school schedules, darn), Body Pump, and Body Combat! I like cardio! I will say I'm a tad disappointed in the scale, which hasn't made an inch since I joined, but I'm convincing myself that is fat being replace by muscle and someday the scale will drop...right?!
9. DVR: Yes, a repeat from last year and shut up! The kids can watch shows in the Purana hour, I was able to record every Christmas movie ever (I am so sick of Polar Express), and fast forwarding through annoying commercials is awesome! Thanks DVR!
10. The doctors that care for us: No, we're not deathly ill, but we all have been to the doctor over the past year and are very grateful for each and every one of them! Beginning in January, I had a health issue and my doctor was my saving grace! In May, Eric was near death with a cold and found us a great family care doctor! I visited the dermatologist for the first time EVER and he was awesome, didn't find any cancer moles, and told me to stop using anti-aging cream! Eye doctor, dentist, both would highly recommend (just don't visit our dentist in the afternoon after 3, horrible wait)! Finally, our pediatrician office! They get us in right away, hardly a wait, and truly care about our kids and family! Trusting your doctors is super important and yes, I had to learn this the hard way! You will NOT hurt their feelings if you feel uncomfortable with them and discuss your concerns or leave to find a new doctor!
11. Coffee: Love my coffee maker, my grocery store knock-off fat-free creamer, and love my Starbucks coffee mug my family gave me for my birthday! Yum! I'm starting to get more adventurous with my coffee, but I know what I like and don't want to waste money on coffee I don't like (this goes with food too)!
12. Pampers Overnight Diapers: Will pees a lot. Will's diapers were shocking wet every morning. His sheets, pajamas, and himself were soaked to the bone every morning. We bought Pampers Overnights. Now, the only thing wet is his diaper. Thank you pampers!
13. New Orleans: Awesome trip! Enough said!
14. Yummy Food: Sushi, dumplings, cake balls, hummus, all the food in New Orleans, Heineken Light, wine, Chik-fil-a spicy chicken sandwich, Topsy's cheese popcorn, edamome,...as you can see, I don't get out much, but I love food and love trying new things! I seriously begin to plan my next meal while still eating!
15. Our friends and family! Since moving, our friends here have become like family and our family has become so much more special to us! We value and appreciate our time spent with them more then ever! We miss our family and friends from all over, but we love our friends here in Texas! Thank you ALL for loving us, supporting us, and showing us God's love working in all of you!
So, here is My Favorite Things for 2011! Some day it might be a more exciting list, like cool lip gloss that I love (need to find me one of those), a product I can't live with out, or just something really cool. Excited to hear your favorite things!