Thursday, December 15, 2011

My Favorite Things: Books!

I miss Oprah!  Every day I DVRed her show to watch during nap time while I folded laundry, eat lunch, and enjoy my peace and quiet!  I LOVE her, don't always agree with her but truly love that lady!  When her last show aired, I totally thought she was going to close with this line:  "And finally, premiering on OWN this fall, The Oprah Winfrey Show!"  Confetti, cheers, tears of happiness...no.  None of that, instead there is Rosie, who is not at all who I would have picked (I would have stuck with Oprah).  Maybe when I'm Queen of the World, I can bring her back, but until then, I can continue with the best Oprahism EVER!  MY FAVORITE THINGS!  Of course my dream of attending an Oprah show, dreaming it would be Favorite Things, is gone!  I had to cross it off my bucket list, sad, sad day.  So, I'm going to have a few blog post of my own!  Here is last years list to refresh your memory!

We're going to focus on books, I love to read to my kids and personally!  I have read some amazing books this year and my goal for 2012 (which seems weird to type and I wrote 2009 on a check the other day) is to blog more about books I've read...or will that be too boring!  I was going to include children's books too!

Now these are not ranked in order of  greatness, I'm not going to list the ones NOT to read (there were a few), and this is just my personal opinion but would LOVE book recommendations for myself or the kids!  I need some good ones!

For the Kids:

1.  Hooper Humperdink, Not Him by Dr. Seuss
~Love Hooper, love the book, and love Dr. Seuss!!




2.  Brown Bear by Eric Carle
~I think I have this one memorized!  Molly loves to read it to us and call the children at the end, the purple children.  Wow, she just giggles and giggles!


3.  Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.
~Another memorized one, but love how my kids find the letters of their names and we love the Youtube song!


4.  Trucks!
~Will got this one for his birthday and he loves it!


5.  This is the house that Jack haunts!
~Got this one when Jack was little and he went through a phase of loving this book!  Well, Will loves is in that phase now and loves it!


6.  All Bernstein Bears books
~They are loving this series right now!  Molly checked out a VERY long Christmas book over the summer and we rechecked it out about 5 times, sadly the book is still checked out by someone else right now (she checks every time!)...it was a long one!


7.  Jack's guided reading books!!
~Brings a smile to my face, he is reading to us and doing awesome!  I love to hear him read, sound out words, and comprehend what he is reading!  It's so cute when he reads something and then laughs because he just figured out what it all meant!  So cute!  So proud!

8.  Who Stole the Cookie from the Cookie Jar!
~Molly loves this book and song, they sing it at preschool!  Plus, a lot of friends names are in the book!


9.  Go Dogs Go!  by P.D. Eastman
~Jack has loved this book for years and now can read most of it to us, but prefers to be read to!


10.The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
~Another Eric Carle and we ALL love this book!  All three kids love to pretend to eat all the food!


Books for the Mama's out there (Dad's too!)

1.  The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins
~AMAZING!!  OMGoodness!  SO awesome! Read it, read it now!  (And I truly think the trilogy should be the top 3, but I read a lot of great books and wanted to share those with everyone!)


2.  The Help by Kathryn Stockett
~Go, go now, and read this book!  Pick up The Hunger Games while you're at it!


3.  Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
~Such a sweet book!  Very good!


4.  Decision Points by George W. Bush
~I know not everyone likes the guy, but it was a great book and I really enjoyed reading it!


5.  The Most Important Place on Earth:  What a Christian Home Looks Like and How to Build One by Robert Wolgemuth
~Awesome book and so many wonderful tips, stories, and Bible passages that include Jesus into our everyday life!


6.  The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
~A very sweet little book about the little lessons in life!


7.  Mini Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella
~LOVE this series, such an adorable book, and I laugh so hard reading the craziness!


8.  Sisterhood Everlasting by Ann Brashares
~Another series I love and so happy to see again!  I read the first four books in college and while I was getting my teaching cert. So good, but always felt I needed more info and this books provides that and closure!  Wonderful book!


9.  Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell
~I actually think I read this last year or early in January, but it makes the list for sure!  An amazing true story about a Navy Seal and his heroic act in Afghanistan.  Another tear-jerker but makes you love our country and men like him!


10.  Jesus Calling:  Enjoying Peace in His Presence by Sarah Young
~A daily devotional I read (most) mornings and it's a great way to kick-start my day!


Would love to hear your book recommendations!  I'm excited for some awesome reads in the New Year!

1 comment:

Thanks for visiting our blog! We love your comments!