Friday, August 12, 2011

Book Club Friday!

LOVE this idea!  Our family loves to read, we are going to the library after naps today, and I'm always looking for a great, new book to read!  Thanks Heather for the wonderful idea!  Everyone posts about a book they have read and gets recommendation for great books to read!  LOVE it!  


I'm going to review a book I read a few weeks ago, since I'm currently reading this:




I love this boy and in honor of his birthday on July 31st, I decided to reread it (and none of my 10 requested books from the library weren't currently in).  I love this series and love Harry, can NOT WAIT to read these books with my children!!  Kisses Harry!  And J.K., another book would be wonderful!  


If Harry Potter isn't your "thing,"  I recently read this great book:
Here is the summary from Amazon:
When Kimberly Chang and her mother emigrate from Hong Kong to Brooklyn squalor, she begins a secret double life: exceptional schoolgirl during the day, Chinatown sweatshop worker in the evenings. Disguising the more difficult truths of her life-like the staggering degree of her poverty, the weight of her family's future resting on her shoulders, or her secret love for a factory boy who shares none of her talent or ambition-Kimberly learns to constantly translate not just her language but also herself back and forth between the worlds she straddles.


Amazing story of a brilliant girl trying to survive in the harsh New York City schools, factory, and life.  I was interested in how they kept going day to day, how she managed school, work, poverty, jealous relatives, and growing up in a different world.  A good read, not fantastic (see book above for fantastic read!)


Off to the library to pick up 3 books on hold:  The Carrie Diaries (So excited!  I am a HUGE Sex and the City fan (except for the second movie, why, girls why?  The first one should have been the only movie, oh well!)), The Girl who played with Fire (finally getting to the 2nd one in the series of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, excited), and Always something there to remind me (not quite sure what this one is about, but I requested it for some reason, I'll let you know!).


Jack wants "all the train books,"  and everyone is banned from Christmas books, which has been the popular selection the past few trips to library.  Not really in the Christmasy mood, maybe it's the drought and 100 degree temps these days.  


Would love to hear your own book selections!

3 comments:

  1. I may be the only person left on Earth that hasn't read Harry Potter, haha!!

    I will have to check out Girl in Translation- sounds great!

    And I cannot wait to see what you think about The Carrie Diaries!! I haven't read that one yet either.

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved Girl in Translation! I thought The Carrie Diaries was cute as well. And I also love all the Steig Larsson books. So sad that there isn't more than three because I would have loved to see what more he came up with!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting our blog! We love your comments!