Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Silly Bike Rash!!

So, it hasn't been too happy of a paddy's day in our house. The kids have the chicken pox! It all started a few weeks ago when Eric developed pain and a rash on his lower left back and side. I told him to go to the doctor, like a smart person, but he told me it was from bike riding. Wow, he's a brilliant man! Fast forward to Saturday, and I find a bump on Molly's head. It was under her hair, so I was moving hair and touched the bump. It popped, which grossed me out, and I decided to keep an eye on her. Sunday was not such a great day for our little miss! She was fussy, didn't eat well (a huge red flag with her), and didn't nap well! Silly me thought she was teething, she only has 1 tooth! She went to bed that night, woke up happy as a clam, and we went about our day! Well, we headed to one of our favorite spots, HEB, the local grocery store, and guess what I find? TWO more spots on her head! Yea!! We head home with our groceries and call the doctor, but they are closed for lunch! Bummer! So, we make lunch, take our naps, and when Molly wakes up, we have another one in her ear. So, I get online with Eric, who is home from work by this point, and we Google chicken pox. Learning that it is caused by shingles, we Google shingles and did we learn so much! That mysterious rash caused by biking was actually shingles! Good thing it wasn't from biking! Well, we're not sure what caused Eric to get shingles, but he got them and there wasn't anything to do to prevent the kids from getting exposed unless Eric was in isolation for weeks....um no!
So, I took Molly to Urgent Care and waited for an hour, in that time I watched her get more bumps. Poor baby! So, when the not so nice doctor came in, he took one look at her and said it was chicken pox and there was nothing to do for her. Great! When the nurse came in to discharge her, she was very helpful and told me to take her to her pediatrician today. I was also told to keep her away from Jack, to prevent him from getting sick, Eric so he doesn't risk getting her more sick, and anyone who is pregnant....that's not going to work! Well, we get home and get everyone fed, cleaned and to sleep and I collapsed into bed. Whew!
Today I woke up to a baby with more bumps, but in a pretty happy mood and to an almost 3 year old saying "my penis itch." For good reason, he had 3 bumps all around it! Poor buddy! So, off to the pediatrician and we were rushed into isolation! She was very helpful, telling us to us Benedryl and Motrin, and how to give an oatmeal bath! The bumps have spread to Jack's back and tummy, but he took a 4 hour nap!! Molly's have spread to her neck, back, tummy and legs, and her doctor said her case will be worse. She had her vaccine last week, so it hasn't time to kick in. Jack's case is very mild because he has been vaccinated, but kids with the vaccine are only 80% immune. Plus he's been exposed for the past 3 weeks! Silly bike rash!
The happy news is they both will have them and then it will be done! I'm OK because I've all ready chicken pox, so the baby is fine! I'm actually 11 weeks, yea!
I'll get pictures of them soon, they look pretty cute still with all their bumps!!

4 comments:

  1. Silly boys who don't go to the doctor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, at childrens mercy, they encourage if one child has chicken pox, to have a "chicken pox party". It is very important for kids to get exposed and that is a way for them to do so, feel crummy for a little while, and then they have had chicken pox which is a good thing, because adults that have it, get it a lot worse and it is just not a good thing to get as an adult. So they are getting it out of the way, which in a way is very, very good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just thought I wouldn't have to worry about the pox, but you're right Megan, at least they get it over with and that is a good thing! No one gets them anymore, except my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Liz! Can't believe your crazy house...poor thing...all of you! Hope you survive and thank goodness they are getting it when they are young and at the same time. Keep you in my prayers for survival!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting our blog! We love your comments!